One of the most classic suit colors is grey - all shades of it. Because of the many variations of grey that exists; all from light to dark grey, from checked or striped, it may be a bit tricky to style.
The Grey Suit
Because there are so many different shades it can sometimes be tricky to know when a suit counts as a grey suit; some very dark suits look black, and some very light grey suits can almost be mistaken for white.
Remember this, all shades between black and white are grey! Now when you have this figured out, we can move on to how to pair your grey suit with colored shirts.
Follow these simple style rules when wearing your Grey Suit:
- A white shirt combined with a black tie gives the ultimate fresh and clean look and a polished first impression to your grey suit.
- If the white shirt is not for you, or if you want to have a more unique look: switch the white shirt for a blue shirt instead. Add a dark blue tie to complete the look of your grey suit
- To make your look more unique and to add more style to a otherwise classic look, switch up the regular tie for a tie with patterns. Or add a pocket square for a modern and clean look. For example, add a blue pocket square to any of the looks above to add style.
- Add other accessories too, like tie clips, cufflinks and lapel pins- make sure these accessories are in silver or white gold to work with the metallic hue of your grey suit.
- For the office, choose a darker colored grey suit for a smart and stylish look. To make a subtle style statement, choose to wear a three piece suit instead of the more regular seen two piece suit.
- If you want to go for a traditional look, pair your grey suit with a black shirt. The black shirt will not give as much of a contrast as the white shirt paired with grey will do. The look is subtle, yet you'll stand out in your black shirt.
- If you want to go for the look mentioned in the bullet point above, but you're not comfortable wearing a black shirt: go for a navy blue shirt. It's dark, meaning the contrast will be more subtle between the shirt and your grey suit, but it's not as dark as a black shirt.
A grey suit is very versatile and can be worn to many different occasions. You can dress it up and down depending on the occasion and the time of day; a grey suit can be worn to the office, to weddings and even to more casual events. Make sure you have your tailored grey suit ready in your wardrobe and you'll be ready for any events that comes your way. Find the perfect shirt and accessories! And undershirts, of course.