Throughout the years, there’s been much debate about the appropriateness of wearing brown shoes in the professional setting. However, when done right, a blue suit and brown shoe combination can look just as sharp and even more sartorial than any suit and black shoe ensemble. And, of course, this statement also applies to navy suits with brown oxford shoes or brown brogues.
Learn 5 easy combinations of navy blue suits and brown shoes. Share the infographic if you find it useful:
What’s great about a blue suit and brown shoe pairing is how versatile it can be. Slight modifications to the look can make it appropriate for almost any setting. The look is smart but not uptight, fashionable yet still professional.
There are a few things to keep in mind when considering how to pair your blue suit with brown shoes: the occasion, the style of both the suit and the shoe, the color tone and your accessories. You can also combine a royal blue suit with brown shoes.
10 Tips on How to pair Blue Suits and Brown Shoes:
- Navy suits go best with dark brown shoes.
- Light blue suits can be worn with brown shoes in either a dark or lighter tone, including tan or cognac colours, as well as more casual shoe styles.
- For professional settings, it’s always safe to stick to the dark blue suit and dark brown oxford shoes combination. You can save the lighter pairing for less formal occasions and those with no strict dress codes.
- Dark brown Oxfords or Monk Strap shoes complement a navy suit and trouser look perfectly and are appropriate for more formal settings. You can also wear dark derby shoes.
- You can never go wrong with wearing a white button-down shirt and navy tie with the navy suit and dark brown shoe look. However, don’t be afraid to try another shirt and tie colour combinations with it. Grey, forest green, maroon and other deep colour tones can also work really well. For the brave, you can even wear a printed shirt within the same range of colour tones. By the way, learn how to do your own full windsor knot tie.
- For slightly less formal affairs, like a night out, for instance, pair your blue suit with brown loafers, derbies or even ankle boots for a more casual feel. If you’d like to wear a belt, make sure to match it to your brown shoes.
The most blue outfit possible (blue trench coat, blue jumper, blue pants) + brown shoes. @gianlucaala makes it work perfectly.
- Suits in a lighter shade of blue work great for more laidback occasions. Pair them with brown or tan brogues or driving shoes, along with a button-down shirt with the top buttons undone or even a plain shirt or pullover.
- Don’t feel restricted to plain blue suits. Blue pinstripes, plaid or window-pane suits, in a variety of fabrics like wool, linen or tweed can look amazing with brown shoes.
Blue checked suit and dark brown shoes. This could be the perfect match.
- For a weekend version, wear your light blue suit with a sport shirt or pullover and brown leather sneakers
- When choosing accessories, whether your belt, tie, pocket square, cuff links or watch, it’s all in the details. It’s a good idea to stick to a brown leather belt and watch strap. Stay within the colour tone of your suit for your tie and pocket square.
Blue Suit + Blue dress shirt + Brown Shoes. This could be the standard choice for this combo. Nothing can go wrong.
A few Don’ts to keep in mind when wearing this combination:
- Don’t wear a black belt with your blue suit and brown shoes. You want to use complementary accessories for your outfit to look well put together.
- Avoid using clashing colour tones for your shirt and accessories. Wearing a blue suit with brown shoes is quite fashion-forward. You don’t want to overdo it but mixing and matching too many contrasting colors or prints.
- Don’t pair your formal navy suit with casual brown shoes, especially if worn in a professional setting. Have the occasion in mind when you are pairing your suit with your shoe to ensure both are appropriate.
- As opposed to black shoes, brown shoes don’t hide any dirt or scuff marks. Make sure your shoes are clean and well-polished.
- Blue slacks and brown shoes follow also the same rules as suits.
A blue suit worn with brown shoes can elevate your personal style. Keep our tips in mind and it’s a pairing that can easily freshen up any simple suit and make you look modern and fashion-forward.
Ok, you already have the blue suit, but you still need the brown shoes, take a look at these ones:
Blue with brown oxford shoes
Blue Suit with brown derby shoes
Blue suit with brown monk strap shoes
Are you wondering how to combine your suit with shoes? Here is a complete style guide infographic which will help you to combine your suit with shoes:
As you may have noticed, in the last row it appears "Ivory" shoes. That would also include spectator shoes , the two-tone brown and white shoes.