Are you a fan of classic men's fashion? Then you'll probably know about the timeless appeal of a blue suit and brown shoes.
This fancy combination is a favorite among stylish gentlemen for its versatility and sophistication. A blue suit and brown shoes can elevate your look to a whole new level. However, as simple as it may seem, this combination can be tricky to create. In this post, we'll take a look at how to combine your blue suit with brown shoes in a way that's stylish and doable. We'll cover everything from color coordination to matching your shoes to the right accessories, so you can put together an awesome outfit.
To get a general overview of which colored suits match well with shoes, take a look at this infographic:
What’s great about a blue suit and brown shoe pairing is how versatile they can be. Slight modifications to the look can make it appropriate for almost any setting. The look is smart but not uptight, fashionable yet still professional.
There are a few things to keep in mind when considering how to pair your blue suit with brown shoes: the occasion, the style of both the suit and the shoe, the color tone, and your accessories. You can also combine a royal blue suit with brown shoes.
10 Tips on How to Pair Blue Suits and Brown Shoes:
- Navy suits go best with dark brown shoes.
- Light blue suits can be worn with brown shoes in either a dark or lighter tone, including tan or cognac colors, as well as more casual shoe styles.
- For professional settings, it’s always safe to stick to the dark blue suit and dark brown oxford shoe combination. You can save the lighter pairing for less formal occasions and those with no strict dress codes.
- Dark brown Oxfords or Monk Strap shoes complement a navy suit and trousers look perfectly and are appropriate for more formal settings. You can also wear dark derby shoes.
- You can never go wrong with wearing a white button-down shirt and navy tie with a navy suit and dark brown shoe look. However, don’t be afraid to try another shirt and tie color combinations with it. Grey, forest green, maroon, and other deep color tones can also work well. For the brave, you can even wear a printed shirt within the same range of color tones. By the way, learn how to do your own full Windsor knot tie.
- For slightly less formal affairs, like a night out, for instance, pair your blue suit with brown loafers, derbies, or even ankle boots for a more casual feel. If you’d like to wear a belt, make sure to match it to your brown shoes.
The bluest outfit possible (blue trench coat, blue jumper, blue pants) + brown shoes. @gianlucaala makes it work perfectly.
- Suits in a lighter shade of blue work great for more laidback occasions. Pair them with brown or tan brogues or driving shoes, along with a button-down shirt with the top buttons undone or even a plain shirt or pullover.
- Don’t feel restricted to plain blue suits. Blue pinstripes, plaid or window-pane suits, in a variety of fabrics like wool, linen, or tweed can look amazing with brown shoes.
Blue checked suit and dark brown shoes. This could be the perfect match.
- For a weekend version, wear your light blue suit with a sport shirt or pullover and brown leather sneakers.
- When choosing accessories, whether your belt, tie, pocket square, cuff links or watch, it’s all in the details. It’s a good idea to stick to a brown leather belt and watch strap. Stay within the color tone of your suit for your tie and pocket square.
- The extra one: choose a custom suit so you can personalize the details.
Blue Suit + Blue dress shirt + Brown Shoes. This could be the standard choice for this combo. Nothing can go wrong.
Things to Avoid When Wearing This Combination:
- Don’t wear a black belt with your blue suit and brown shoes. You want to use complementary accessories for your outfit to look well put together.
- Avoid using clashing color tones for your shirt and accessories. Wearing a blue suit with brown shoes is quite fashion-forward. You don’t want to overdo it but mixing and matching too many contrasting colors or prints.
- Don’t pair your formal navy suit with casual brown shoes, especially if worn in a professional setting. Have the occasion in mind when you are pairing your suit with your shoe to ensure both are appropriate.
- As opposed to black shoes, brown shoes don’t hide any dirt or scuff marks. Make sure your shoes are clean and well-polished.
- Blue slacks and brown shoes follow also the same rules as suits.
A blue suit worn with brown shoes can elevate your style. Keep our tips in mind and it’s a pairing that can easily freshen up any simple suit and make you look modern and fashion-forward.
When to Wear a Blue Suit with Brown Shoes
If you are going for a more casual look, It is important that you pair your blue suit with loafers or a nice pair of sneakers. You can even substitute the dress pants for jeans or khakis. Keeping the tie is optional, depending on how formal or casual the event is. This look is perfect for daytime business outings, informal business meetings, and casual dinner parties.
When it comes to business formal, a blue suit and brown shoes will be the perfect outfit. Make sure to pair your blue suit with long socks, derbies or oxfords, and a matching colored belt. This combination is perfect for formal work events and meetings. One way to stand out in the office is having a colorful or patterned tie to show off your personality.
Your blue suit and brown shoes are a perfect option for formal events like cocktail parties, formal dinners, or weddings. Again, your shoes should match your belt and pair it with a solid color tie or bowtie. Pocket squares can be patterned or solid color, as long as the colors of the pocket square match the rest of the outfit.
What Tie Color Works Best with a Blue Suit and Brown Shoes Outfit?
The trick here is to find a shade that compliments your suit. Here are a few good ideas that could work:
- Choose a tie in a shade that is similar to the color of your suit, but slightly darker or lighter. For example, if you're wearing a navy blue suit, you could try a tie in light blue or a deep navy.
- Try contrasting colors, for a nice pop of color. This could be with a sophisticated shade of red or yellow.
- Neutrals work with practically everything. If you want to stay on the safe side, then stick to black, white, or grey.
What Socks Work Best with Brown Shoes and a Blue Suit?
Well, the same rules apply when choosing your socks. You can go for neutrals, contrasting colors, or even patterned socks if you enjoy being creative. However, if you're planning to wear patterned socks to the office, we suggest you go for darker, more sophisticated colors (nothing too crazy). It's also best to avoid blue socks, as this could make the lower part of your outfit appear somewhat flat.
Shoes for Royal Blue Suits
Royal blue suits are versatile when choosing what dress shoes to wear. Nothing can go wrong if you choose a royal blue suit with black oxfords, but it also allows you to wear any shade of brown shoes with it.
As you may have noticed, in the last row appears "Ivory" shoes. That would also include spectator shoes, the two-tone brown and white shoes.
If you are looking for a pair of brown shoes that provide both comfort and style, then brown leather sneakers are a great option. Not only do they combine well with a blue suit, but they also have a smart look to them. At Hockerty, you have the opportunity to create custom sneakers that are suitable for the office. Check it out now!
Once you've got your suit and accessories figured out, it's time to select a suitable brown shoe. Here are a few brown shoe ideas that are perfect for the office or other formal occasions:
Blue Suit with Brown Oxford Shoes
The perfect matching. Oxford shoes are the most classic dress shoe choice, the same happens with blue suits, especially when it comes to navy blue suits. So, just take a look at the shades and wear them together in any business or event environment. Feel the confidence of the most classic blue suit and brown shoe couple.
CHECK OXFORD SHOES
Blue Suit with Brown Derby Shoes
Despite it is not the most formal combination, brown derby shoes and a blue suit are the most versatile combination. Not as formal as with brown oxfords, wearing brown derby shoes gives you a slightly more relaxed appearance. Consider that brown derby shoes can also be worn with chinos or jeans.
Blue Suit with Brown Monk Strap Shoes
The most elegant combination. Your brown monk shoes will get all the attention with this combination. Take all the compliments.