We all agree; dressing up in a dress shirt can make any man look sharp and put-together. But when it comes to what to wear under your dress shirt, opinions are divided. Some men swear by wearing an undershirt, while others can't stand the extra layer. So what's the verdict? In this post, we'll explore the controversy surrounding undershirts for dress shirts and help you make the right choice for your style and comfort.
The Benefits of Wearing an Undershirt
- Sweat absorption
- Protection of dress shirt from sweat stains and deodorant marks
- Extra insulation for cooler days
- Increased comfort by reducing chafing and irritation
- Prevention of odors on the dress shirt
- Additional layer of style to complement dress shirt
If you're unsure whether to wear an undershirt, it's worth considering the benefits. There are several advantages to wearing an undershirt with your dress shirt. For one, it helps to absorb sweat and prevent unsightly sweat stains on your dress shirt, which can be especially important in professional settings and just for looks, of course. Plus, it helps to protect the dress shirt fabric, especially when having a premium, high-quality dress shirt. Not to mention they also offer extra insulation in cold weather, keeping you warm and cozy. Additionally, some men find that an undershirt helps to smooth out any lumps or bumps in their silhouette, giving them a more streamlined appearance.
The Cons of Wearing an Undershirt
- Extra layer can cause sweating and unpleasant odors, especially in hot weather
- Can be visible under thin or light-colored dress shirts, affecting the overall look
- Can bunch around the waist and look inelegant
The wearing of an undershirt, however, may have significant drawbacks. For starters, an extra layer of clothing can make you feel hot and uncomfortable, especially in warmer weather. Some men also find that an undershirt can bunch up or ride up, which can be annoying and distracting. And if you're wearing a thinner or lighter-colored dress shirt, an undershirt might be visible through the fabric, detracting from the overall look and harming your style - unless of course it's intentional - like the following look:
How to Wear an Undershirt Properly
When going for an undershirt under a dress shirt, it's important to keep a few things in mind. For one, make sure you choose an undershirt that fits closely to your body and isn't too thick or bulky. This will prevent it from bunching up and creating an unflattering look. Yes, a traditional white cotton undershirt is a classic choice, but try to pick an undershirt that matches your skin tone as closely as possible, so it won't show through your dress shirt. Lastly, make sure to select a neckline that works well with your dress shirt collar so it doesn't show above it. When it comes to the material of an undershirt, it's important to choose one that is breathable and comfortable. Cotton is soft and absorbent, but other materials are also available, such as bamboo or modal, known for their moisture-wicking properties.
Common Myths Debunked: No More Excuses, Gents!
Tired of old wives' tales and bad fashion advice? Let's smash those myths and get you suited up properly.
- Myth: Wearing an undershirt automatically makes you sweaty.
- Reality: Modern undershirts are designed to wick moisture away. So unless you're standing next to a volcano, you're good.
Seasonal Tips: Winter Cozy or Summer Breezy?
What’s cooler than being cool? Staying warm when you need to! Here’s how to change your undershirt game with the seasons.
- Summer: Go for a micro-modal fabric that keeps you cool and absorbs moisture.
- Winter: An extra layer of thermal cotton can be your best buddy against winter chills.
Choosing the Right Type of Undershirt: It's Not Just About the Shirt
Ever thought about what lies beneath? Let’s make sure what you wear under your dress shirt isn't just an afterthought.
- Cotton: King of Comfort, but watch out for shrinkage.
- Bamboo or Modal: If you’re the Eco-Warrior type, these natural fibers not only wick moisture but also make you feel like you're hugging a tree—comfortably.
Is an Undershirt Right for You? Take Our Quick Quiz and Find Out!
Question 1: Do you sweat like you’re in a sauna during a board meeting?
- If yes, you're Team Undershirt.
Question 2: Do you hate visible sweat stains more than traffic jams?
- If yes, welcome to Team Undershirt.
Question 3: Does the thought of an extra layer make you cringe?
- If yes, maybe you're a lone wolf who doesn't need the pack—or the undershirt.
So there you have it – wearing an undershirt with a dress shirt is absolutely appropriate. It all comes down to personal preference and what works best for your style and comfort. Just remember these tips, and you'll be looking sharp and feeling comfortable all day long. The undershirt isn't just an underdog in the sartorial world—it could be the MVP of your entire outfit!
You might also like our other dress shirt related blog posts:
- 20 Best Dress Shirt Brands for Men in 2023
- Mastering the Art of Dress Shirt Colors: A Guide for Men
- A Guide to Shirt Materials: Which Fabric is Right for You?
- Short Sleeve Dress Shirt with Tie - Fashion Faux Pas or Trendy Combo?