Which one is better: double-breasted suits vs single-breasted suits? This old debate starts all over again every time a designer launches his/her new collection of suits. The single-breasted suit jackets are sleek, modern and stylish, whereas the double-breasted ones are classic, vintage and elegant. People wear what they like and there is no certain rule regarding this, but let’s look into the details which make these two different from each other.
6 buttons Double-breasted suit jacket tailored by Hockerty
What does double-breasted mean?
The double-breasted suit jacket is different from single breasted suit jacket in many ways, which are discussed below:
- Modern double-breasted jackets are narrow at the waist and are usually longer than the single-breasted The single-breasted jackets have a slimming down too.
- Double-breasted jackets focus more attention at the top while single breasted jackets allow an even expansion of attention at all points.
- Double breasted suits come with many buttons (4-6 usually) while the single-breasted suits have 2 button fastenings usually.
Why double-breasted suits?
Double breasted suits have been around for decades and they have a vintage vibe. They look classy and are now coming in sharper styles. They accentuate your physique in a way that you appear taller and with broader shoulders. The sharp cuts and sleek tailoring has made them much more prominent nowadays.
How many jacket buttons? 2, 4 or 6 buttons?
We are going to make it really easy:
- 2 buttons: this is a risky choice. Very related to tuxedo jackets, lately. Maybe you have seen some celebrities wearing it. Choose it if you have it really clear that this is the option you want.
- 4 buttons: standard choice. No mistake possible with this one. The classic double-breasted jacket.
- 6 buttons: the bold option. Also standard as 4 buttons jacket but it will let your buttons choice stand out. Especially if you choose brass buttons.
How to wear double-breasted suits this season?
Double-breasted jackets are a raging fashion nowadays so you should try them even if you prefer single breasted suits normally. Here are some things that you need to take care of while wearing one.
- Go for tailoring:
The more tailored the suit, the sharper and more polished you will look. Proper tailoring will help you look stylish and well groomed. It will fit your build well and you will look more elegant.
- Fasten only one button:
Make sure that you fasten only one button while you are not sitting as it will keep you comfortable. If your suit has 6 buttons, fasten the middle one; but if there are 4 buttons in it, fasten the first one.
- Pare back your double-breasted suit:
A double-breasted jacket has the potential of making your suit stylish to the maximum. So, you do not need to add more details to make it more prominent. Pair it up with a plain shirt and keep the rest of the things simple as well.
The Best Double Breasted Suit Styles This Season:
Here are some of the best double-breasted suit ideas for you.
- The blue double-breasted wool suit is your go-to suit for night outs on dates and corporate parties.
- Grey double-breasted wool suit is the best choice for your work-related meetings and other official gatherings.
- The beige double-breasted linen suit is the ultimate party suit for you when you are out and about with your friends. It is perfect for weddings as well.
- Take a look at our double breasted tuxedos.
The double-breasted jackets are in fashion now, so go ahead and try these this season!