So, let's answer the question
Can I wear a grey suit with brown shoes?
Yes, of course. It will be a little bit less formal than if you wear your grey suit with black shoes but it will work perfectly. The darker the shade of grey your suit is, the darker your brown shoes should be.
For centuries the question has been asked, does the humble grey suit and brown shoes combination really work, or is it just a quick fix to a wardrobe mishap? Well, this is where I step in to give you a helping hand and to guide you on this journey. Whenever I think of a grey suit, ‘Wedding’ is the first thing that comes to mind, you know the colour grey has the tendency to be overly formal and a bit dull at times, but that is dependent on how it is styled, recently the formal grey suit has been transformed into something ultra-modern yet very gentlemanly. Grey is like a blank slate that can be experimented on, whether it is with a patterned shirt or even a basic crew neck t-shirt will be a chic addition to this blank slate. A grey suit that can be worn for any occasion if styled correctly, also with brown shoes instead of black ones.
It is all about versatility, a style that can take you from day to night. In order to pull off this combination, you have to wear the right accessories.
BBC One’s hit show Peaky Blinders has given us all some food for thought, on how to breathe life into a humble grey suit, especially Tommy Shelby. How can a three-piece suite be made to look like everyday wear you ask?
This has been done with three major updates and that is the Narrow legged trouser, chestnut brown brogue ankle boots and an effortless baker boy hat to cover the bed head from the night before, this look has now become the perfect solution for the A/W season ahead. This classic British 1920s style is not only high fashion but it has inspired the likes of British Footballer David Beckham’s style and has also influenced many catwalk shows of the likes of Gucci and Dolce & Gabbana over the years.
Grey Suit and Brown Shoes outfits:
|Grey Tweed Double-Breasted Suit||Classic Grey Suit|
|Grey Striped Suit||Grey Checkered Suit|
|Monk Shoes Brown Flora Leather||Brown Dress Boots|
|Horsebit Loafer from Italian Leather||Wholecut Brown Oxford Shoes|
How to incorporate the grey suit with brown shoes into your own day-to-day style
- Grey suit with a classic crisp white shirt not fully buttoned up, of course, not just to show a bit of chest but to add more of an edge, team this with some classic brown suede loafers to dress it down a bit so as not to be too formal, this look would be great for a special occasion or a date at an exclusive restaurant.
- A great colour to replace those that can also make a statement is a deep red/burgundy shirt, this striking and romantic look will be a great contrast to a dark grey suit. This look has been tried and tested on celebrities many times, simply because it demands attention, the brown shoes that would be a perfect fit for this would be a pair of distressed vintage brown loafers preferably with laces.
- I have also become a huge fan of the black turtle neck under a steel grey suit with a matching pocket square this look for me oozes power and when it is paired with dark brown double buckle brogues you have a look to Kill (no pun intended).
- If you are going for a more casual summer lunch date look why not go for a white crew-neck t-shirt, pair that with some tan brown leather sneakers and some aviator sunglasses, this is a laid-back look that can also be adaptable for day-to-night minus the sunglasses.
- Looking for more of a quirky way to style it, why not go for a 3-piece suit with a floral printed shirt, with subtle colours of course, so as not to look too crazy? This would be a great look for a wedding, just to add your own stamp without outshining the bride. This can be worn with some classic mahogany brown oxford shoes. A look sure to melt the hearts of all the braid-maids if that is what you're after.
- Dress appropriately for the weather. There is no forbidden type of shoes to go with your grey suit. In summer, reach for loafers, in spring and autumn for your custom brown brogues or oxfords and your dress boots in winter. Yes, dress boots create some of the most stylish looks with suits.
There are different shades of grey whether it's light or dark this is a colour that can really give you the edge that you are looking for.
What to avoid when wearing a grey suit and brown shoes:
- Try to avoid combining this combo with a powder blue shirt or even a baby pink shirt, although they are colours that complement grey, they can also be very cliché and boring.
- Colours can be your best friend and they can also be your enemy, so stick to one colour theme and match your accessories using different tones that complement each other, because too many colours which can be overpowering for the suit.
- When matching your shoes with the suit, remember that a classic pair of oxford shoes can be very versatile to suit any occasion, so do not feel the need to overdo the shoes and be too quirky, sometimes less is more when styling your suit.
- Also stay away from pattern clashing when wearing a grey suit, this can cause you to look as though you might have got dressed in the dark.
- As we all know dirt marks can rear their ugly heads when wearing a light-coloured suit so be sure to keep an out eye when wearing a light grey suit.
- You can also try this outfit with a black dress shirt
Not only is the combination of a grey suit with brown shoes a highly versatile combination, but it is also a look that can be adaptable to most colours and styles with different accessories within reason, so don’t be afraid to use it to stand out, for the right reasons.
What colour tie matches best with a grey suit and brown shoes?
There are several options you could go for:
- A contrasting grey tie
- A burgundy tie
- A blue tie
- A black tie