Your doubts are justified if you're wondering whether you can wear a tie with a short-sleeved shirt. Let us tell you straight away: this combo is not okay! Sure, some may argue that this look is acceptable in certain situations, but the general opinion is clear: it's a fashion faux pas. So, is there any way to make it work anyway? Keep reading this blog post, and explore why the combination is frowned upon and whether or not there are any exceptions to this rule.
DESIGN YOUR SHORT SLEEVE SHIRT
Never Wear a Tie With a Short-Sleeved Dress Shirt
Just don't! Ok, it could be tempting to stay cool in the summertime, but a well-dressed man simply doesn't pair a tie with a short-sleeved dress shirt - it's an unforgivable combo! The reason for this is simple: short-sleeved shirts are essentially casual, while ties are considered a very formal accessory. Combining the two creates a disjointed and jarring appearance that doesn't make sense. It's like wearing a tuxedo jacket with shorts, making you look like you don't quite understand the dress code. Plus, the contrast between the bare arms and the covered neck creates an unbalanced look that draws attention to the wrong places. Instead, choose a long-sleeved dress shirt in a lightweight fabric like linen, which looks way more polished and allows you to showcase your tie collection without any fashion faux pas. Or, go for a more casual look with a short-sleeved shirt and no tie. Trust us, your fashion sense (and your colleagues) will thank you.
And speaking of ties, let's talk about the other big no-no: wearing a tie without a suit jacket. It may seem like a convenient way to dress up a casual outfit, but it's a style mistake that will make you stand out for all the wrong reasons. So, you can not wear a tie without a suit jacket and shouldn't combine a suit jacket with a short-sleeved shirt. Do you see how it all is linked?
When to Wear a Short-Sleeved Dress Shirt with a Tie: Exceptions to the Rule
Hopefully, you've internalized by now that short-sleeved shirts and tie combos are a no-go. However, no rule without exception. You can make it work if you're a fashion-forward guy with a confident fashion sense. However, you need to go all fashionisto about it. Combine it boldly with a statement and show you really know what you're doing. This look is definitely only reserved for leisure or if you work in the creative industry.
How to pull off the short-sleeved shirt and tie combo stylishly:
- Perfect fitting shirt: First and foremost, make sure the short-sleeved dress shirt fits well. A properly fitting shirt will look more polished and put-together and will help you avoid a sloppy look. With a custom-made shirt you will achieve just that.
- Choose the right tie: If you're going to wear a tie with a short-sleeved shirt, opt for a skinny or slim tie that is less formal than a traditional one. This will create a slaying, stylish look that demands attention.
- Choose prints wisely: When it comes to patterns, you can stick to simple and classic designs like stripes or dots or take it to the next level with bold, flashy ones that clash with norms.
DESIGN YOUR SHORT SLEEVE SHIRT
True, some fashion rules are meant to be bent or broken! ...but when it comes to the combo of short-sleeved dress shirts and ties, it is crucial that your outfit looks cohesive and intentional. The key is to create a look that exudes confidence and style, and keeping our tips in mind will help you achieve just that.
Looking for more shirt-related inspiration? Check out some of our other blog posts:
- The Guide to Men’s Shirt & Tie Combinations
- Can you wear a dress shirt with jeans?
- What Color Shirt Looks Best on a Blue Suit?
- Navy Blue Suit Combinations: How to Match with Shirts and Ties