Let's answer the important question right away. Can you wear brown shoes with black pants? Yes, you can wear black pants and brown shoes. But be careful, because it will not be considered formal attire. And to be completely honest, black suit and brown shoes are not allowed based on the classic gentleman rules, so take a look at the rest of the post if you are thinking about combining your favourite brown shoes with black garments. If you want to know how to combine blue suits and brown shoes read our post about the topic: blue suit brown shoes.
Check this infographic to see really fast what are nice options for your black slacks and brown shoes outfit. If you have extra doubts or you want to read about more specific combinations, keep reading the post.
5 keys to combine perfectly brown shoes and black pants
- Avoid too dark brown shoes. And this rule applies to many cases. You shouldn't combine too similar colours. So, try choosing lighter brown brogue shoes for your black pants outfits in case of doubt. Try it with tan shoes with black pants.
- Keep it casual. This outfit is not formal, so just bring it to the casual side. Black pants are formal, but then shoes, accessories and the shirt are a great opportunity to make it your best smart casual outfit.
- Choose matching accessories. Of course, the belt has to be the same shade of brown, but you can also add a nice brown leather watch and you will have a perfect outfit.
- White (dress) shirt during the day. A simple clean outfit combining black pants, brown shoes and a white t-shirt or dress shirt. Easy and it works. Accessories will become even more important.
- Grey, black or blue (dress) shirt during the night. You want an extra style boost. You will get it with a darker outfit.
Black jeans with brown shoes
Black jeans and brown shoes match perfectly. Think about it and check the 5 rules above again. They are casual, they allow accessories, and jeans are easy to combine with any kind of shirts and dress shirts. Master this outfit and it will make your morning decisions in front of the closet much easier.
And the same applies to chinos. You can use the same rules to combine your black chinos with brown oxford shoes.
Black on black with brown shoes
Yes, black on black with brown shoes works. And the good thing about it is that it will highlight your shoes. So, choose properly. The tan shoes will become the most important piece of your outfit.
Black pants brown boots
It also works. It is so easy combining black pants, black slacks, black jeans and brown boots! Take advantage from it and build a high confidence outfit with your favourite brown boots and the black trousers that better fit you.
Black pants brown shoes, ok, but what colour shirt?
There are two options so you are never wrong with your dress shirt wearing black slacks and brown shoes
1) White (dress shirt) with black pants and brown shoes. Easy, especially recommended during the day but you can wear it also after work or at night. It always works and will create a clean outfit
2) Black dress shirt, blue, or grey dress shirt with black pants and brown shoes. Slightly riskier as you will have to be careful combining. Get inspiration from others and keep is simple if you are not sure.
What kind of brown shoes should I wear?
If you are wearing black wool pants:
- Brown oxford shoes. The most formal choice among the brown shoes. No problem, it will continue being a smart casual look. Oxfords are never the wrong choice with wool suit pants.
- Brown derby shoes. Slightly more casual. But how is it possible that you don't know the difference between oxford and derby? Read our blog post
- Brown wingtip shoes. The choice of the most stylish people. Usually, wingtip shoes are also brogue shoes so you will have the typical broguing on them.
- Brown boots. As long as the pants cover the ankle nobody will notice, so go ahead.
If you are wearing jeans or chinos:
- You can wear the same options as above but also brown sneakers.
We hope it was helpful and you could get some inspiration for your casual looks. It's time to design those new outfits so take a look at our custom pants online designer: